Sunday, May 15, 2011

Counting Down the Days...

Today marks the eleventh day before I move to the Middle East, and as each moment passes, I am getting more and more excited for what Jordan will bring! This summer I will be studying the Arabic language, taking a seminar on Jordanian culture, and will be interning with Partners - Jordan, a non-profit organization that works towards strengthening civil society in Jordan through conflict mediation and closing the gap between Jordanians and their government. I will also be conducting research for my senior thesis, which will be focused on how the different layers of influence in Jordanian society shape the relationship between the individual and the state, and how these influences affect legitimacy.

I want to use this blog to keep my family and friends updated on my experiences in Jordan and to simply have a record of my day to day life. I want to record and remember the small exchanges that get lost in the commotion of bigger trips and experiences. I want to remember the first time I shop in a market, the first time I sip tea or coffee in a cafe. As I become more and more entrenched in my language studies, I hope to write blog posts in Arabic. My ultimate goal is to come back to the United States and have forgotten how to speak english...

And the count down begins!

5 comments:

  1. melissa if you post in arabic post in english so can understand too

    natasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby cakes, I'm excited for youuuu! And I second the Arabic/English posting - lord knows what Google translate will give us! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. So unbelievable that the little girl that stood in her 1st TKD class back in 1999 here in Slownoma is on her way to Jordan. Love the idea of this blog. . . . will post the link to the school web site so kids can keep up

    Best Wishes
    Mr H

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mageda,
    I will be waiting to hear all about your exciting experience in Jordan.
    Ayman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melissa,
    Can't wait until your next blog! Love you, Mom, Dad, Alexa

    ReplyDelete