Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Beautiful Lights of Amman

I am signing on again today because so much has happaned since yesterday that I just had to post!
First, my two arabic professors arm wrestled, which was hilarious in itself. After class we went to an AMAZING italian restaurant, where we spoke a conglomeration of english, Arabic, and italian with the waiters while eating some of the best italian food I have ever had. After that part of the group went to the Royal Film Commission near the first circle to watch an out door movie. The venue is amazing in itself! The commission has a small out door ampitheater that over looks the whole of Amman. I have to say that at some points during the movie I was distracted by the breath-taking view of the city lights...as well as the colorful fireworks that were set off over the city skyline. After watching the movie and a discussion with the director (the movie was an indpendent spanish film about three women protagonists that work in a private investigation industry...very captivating), we went to the Old View Cafe, which was right next to the commission. After ascending three flights of stairs, we reached the cafe, which was on an open balcony that overlooked the city. We drank tea, lemon nana (which is basically mint lemonade..several of us are already addicted to it!) and smoked shisha. I was extremely excited because at the cafe I met two boys from a set of triplets, and we swaped stories about what it was like to have another person that looks exactly like you!
This morning we went to ACOR, which is the American Center for Oriental Research here in Amman. The center has a fantastic library filled with books and journals on any and every topic you can imagine. They host research fellows (some of whom are focusing on my area of interest), and conduct archeological digs. I will be spending much of my time there conducting research!
This evening after Arabic class I will be going with my Arabic professor to an amazing ice cream shop outside of Amman...If you ever have an opportunity to try Arabic ice cream, do it! It is like regular ice cream, except richer, creamier, and filled with nuts.
I have also been in contact with a non-profit organization called Reclaim Childhood, which focuses on creating a safe haven for Iraqi refugee girls. I think I am going to star volunteering with them as a camp counselor, which means that I will be leading soccer games, arts and crafts, and potentially leading self- defense classes! I cannot wait to start teaching Taekwondo here! It will be an amazing way to enrich these girls' lives and provide a positive impact.
I forgot to mention in the last blog the food here in Jordan...it is with out a doubt the best food I have ever had! I have had shwarma wraps from Reem, which essentially tasted like Middle Eastern In-in-Out burgers, baklava, Qanafa (shreds of filo dough, sweet cheese and syrup), tabouli, fattoush (salad with pita), and so much hummus! (these are just a few dishes...I can't remember the names of ll of them). However, what makes me really happy is the coffee. An Americano here is so much better than any other Americano I have tasted....and the Turkish coffee! Turkish coffee is thicker, richer, and way stronger than American coffee. One of my friends told me that she could read my coffee grounds, and she had me hook, line and sinker with her reading, but apparently she was just pulling the wool over my eyes!
I will not be posting for several days because I will be in Petra and Wadi Rum, but if you have any questions about anything, please ask!

3 comments:

  1. Haha why does it not surprise me that you already found good coffee? ;)
    Everything sounds so amazing over there! And you're gonna teach Taekwondo!
    Can't wait for your next post!
    Kendall

    ReplyDelete
  2. mm sounds delish! and fun hahah where are pictures?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your experience at Amman sounds so cool and eventful; I can't wait to travel there sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete